Sunday, July 20, 2008

Web 2.0

Web 2.0 is not coming; it's here! It sounds pretty intimidating to think that there are still more tools to get to know when we haven't even conquered the old ones. (Imagine! Is anything about the Internet OLD?! Indeed!)

Web 2.0 refers collectively to a handful of new technologies and ideas that represent potential to use the power of the Internet in business and education. Categories like social networking sites (myspace.com and Facebook), blogging for news and education, wikis (check out Wikipedia.org if you don't already know it, to see how reference material can be democratically built by users and how that changes the nature of information) and Second Life have all changed not only the way we work and learn, but how we interact socially and entertain ourselves. The lines are blurring between work and fun ... and that's a good thing, isn't it? I'm all for learning while I'm having fun and having fun while I'm learning, but it's more than a personal preference that makes this an important transition--it's about the wider success of business and learning and the inclusivity that these technologies represent.

Working and learning in academia, I'm always disappointed to hear Wikipedia being dismissed as a less-than-valid source of academic research and information. Sure, it's possible that information exists there that is incomplete or less than accurate, but I'm guessing that's not for long. This sort of user-participation model for sharing knowledge and information takes peer review to a whole new level, doesn't it? Isn't it a GOOD thing, after all, to have the discussions (and heated debates) that grow up out of the information posted? Isn't it fair to let the uninitiated reader know that there is controversy around some "information" and allow the issues to be played out in plain view? That seems so much more in keeping with the spirit of learning and academic development, to me, than simply digging through archives of printed material that may or may not have proximity to opposing views.

I've found a lot of support on YouTube.com for my studies in the agonizing area of accounting. I cannot grasp debits and credits for the life of me, and I'm dragging my class down in discussion with my inability to grasp concepts I should have had in prerequisite courses I never knew to take. Being able to type the key words "debits and credits" and peruse the educational videos so graciously posted there by dedicated educators has been a lifesaver for me! I can rewind 18 gazillion times, stop and start when I need to and keep punching it out without impeding anyone else's progress. I often pick up new "keywords" to search by viewing these and have built playlists of the series of videos that cover extended topics.

As the Internet develops into its next incarnation, video and audio are BIG! Universities serve up free audio and video podcasts in "Itunes U" (look in the left hand panel of the Itunes Store) and YouTube-type sites are growing in popularity among both educators and students. The most innovative educators are not keeping all the fun to themselves, though, they're encouraging their students to produce material as well. While the material produced by amateur educators and fledgling students may not be as spit and polish as professionally produced media, it's exciting, credible and inspiring to those who have plenty to contribute the endless supply of knowledge and information that now inhabits cyberspace.

The idea of proprietary knowledge is fading--and that's a good thing. I'll talk soon about open source, copyleft, creative commons and other manifestations of these ideas.

No comments: